There are a number of annual or occasional events that you might like to plan a trip around:
- Hegins Valley Arts and Craft Faire – Annually, the third Saturday in September - rain or shine.
- The Great Pottsville Cruise - each August
- Schuylkill County Wine Festival - September
- Girardville St. Patrick's Day Parade - each March
- Gratz Fair - each September
- Gratz Arts and Crafts Fair - 3rd Saturday in October
Less than 30 minutes away:
- Benigna’s Creek Winery - Great events every month
- Crossroads Market – Gratz - Every Friday – Noon to approximately 8 pm
- Lykens Valley Golf Club - Millersburg
- Rausch Creek Off Road Park - Tremont
- Rausch Creek Trailriders
- Red Shale Ridge Vineyards - Hegins
- Sky-Vu Drive-In Movie - Gratz
- Stone Mountain Wine Cellars -
30 - 45 minutes away:
45 - 90 minutes away:
- Antique Auto Museum at Hershey - Hershey
- Centralia - Centralia/Ashland - underground mine fire
- Colonel Ricketts Hard Cider Winery - Columbia County
- Dauphin County, Hershey, Harrisburg Visitor's Bureau
- Galen Glen Winery - Andreas
- Hawk Mountain – Kempton - A world renowned raptor natural sanctuary and research center
- Hershey, Pa
- Hershey's Chocolate World - Free admission plus extras
- Hershey Giant Center
- Hershey Spa - Purchase any spa service and then utilize the pool, saunas, hot tubs, fitness center and more all day for free
- Hersheypark Stadium
- Hollywood Casino - Hershey
- Knoebel's Grove Amusement Park - Elysburg - Always free admission and free parking; pets welcome
- Long Trout Winery - Auburn
- Stonehedge Gardens - Tamaqua
Places WE Love Near Clover's Cottage
- Sky-Vu Drive-In Movies - http://www.skyvudrivein.com/ - 813 E Market St, Gratz, PA 17048 - Built in 1948, the Sky Vu Drive-in theatre continues the time honored tradition of entertainment, value and lots of fun for the entire family. Treat yourself to the experience of one of the last 338 drive-ins still operating in the USA.
- Crossroads Sale and Farmer's Market - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gratz-Auction/152538601424074 - State Route 25 & S Crossroads Rd, Lykens, PA 17048 - Open Fridays at 10 am and open until perhaps 7 pm (varies), this is THE place to gather the culture of western Schuylkill County, PA. Amish food stands, local farm stands, baked goods, an auction, fresh produce and seasonal treats, this is the social and economic hub of the area. Our favorite stops include $5 bags of smoked beef bones for our dog, the pie stand, the soft pretzel stand and the Benigna Creek winery stand! Open year round, but the Friday open day changes occasionally for holidays (such as Thanksgiving). Shop here first for your Clover's Cottage stay needs! It truly can be an experience for the entire family.
- Benigna's Creek Winery -http://www.bcwinery.com/ - 1585 Ridge Rd, Klingerstown, PA 17941 - This is a great story of a family of hog farmers-turned wine makers - and with tremendous success! All of their winery events are great fun, but we really like the "Lighting of the Vinyards" in winter, but they maintain a full calendar all year. Nestled in the pristine Mahantongo Valley, Benigna’s Creek is situated at the highest point in the valley. This is a favorite stop - but especially wine lovers that enjoy their wine on the sweeter side.
- Knoebel's Grove Amusement Park - https://www.knoebels.com/ - 391 Knoebels Blvd, Elysburg, PA 17824 - This very-family-friendly park (and family owned) is open three seasons. It is America's largest free-admission (and free parking) Amusement park. Great coaster - classic and modern, a terrific kiddie section, an old-fashioned feel, with a creek meandering throughout the park, well shaded, per-ride-tickets or arm-band-ride-all-day enjoyment...this park has everything that the big corporate parks of today lack. Give it a try.
- Rausch Creek Off Creek Park - http://rc4x4.org/ - 453 Molleystown Rd, Tremont, PA 17981 - Rausch Creek Off-Road Park is devoted to providing a fun, legal place for off-road enthusiasts to go four-wheeling with their four-wheel drive Jeep, truck, or SUV. The park consists of 3,000 acres of easy, intermediate, and difficult trails - featuring rocks, bowls, hills, club friendly trails, and free, on-site camping (but who would go boondocking there when you can have a spa-like bathroom, hot tub and fireplace at Clover's Cottage nearbay?!).
- Pioneer Tunnel Coal Tunnel - http://www.pioneertunnel.com/ - N 19th St & Oak Street, Ashland, PA 17921 - Coal mining is the heart and history of Schuylkill County, PA and this is THE place to explore it all. Trains, tunnels, darkness and rich in living history, you can really experience what life as a coal miner was like and how the industry shaped the region in its' heyday.
- Yuengling Brewery - https://www.yuengling.com/ - 420 Mahantongo St, Pottsville, PA 17901 - America's Oldest Brewery started in Pottsville, PA (just 9 blocks from where we lived for 18 years!). Free brewery tours every day in the original mountainside brewery (as well as in the newer Tampa, FL location), including free tastings at the end of the tour! This is a must-see when in the area - under 21 welcome as well, but everyone needs to wear closed toe shoes.
- Hawk Mountain Sanctuary - http://www.hawkmountain.org/ - 1700 Hawk Mountain Rd, Kempton, PA 19529 - Natures greatest airshow, open 365 days a year, Hawk Mountain Sanctuary is a world-class research center for the protection of raptors, these hundreds of acres have beautiful trails open to everyone EXCEPT for the first two days of PA deer hunting season. There is a visitor center, gorgeous mountain views and a lot for us all to learn from nature.
- Lykens Valley Golf Resort - https://www.lykensvalley.com/ - 1724 Route 25
- Millersburg, PA 17061 - This nearby golf resort includes an 18 hold course, restaurant and bar. Considering that Clover's Cottage is in the beautiful rural countryside, this small golf resort is a pleasant surprise and an option to consider if you would like to eat out and have a few cocktails.
- Redner's Market - http://www.rednersmarkets.com/ - 22 Forest Dr, Hegins, PA 17938 - Need to pick up some groceries for the trip? If you aren't staying with us on a Friday when you can head to the Farmer's Market (always our first pick), then a trip to Redner's Market will get the job finished.
- Dreams Come True - www.DreamsComeTrueCottage.com - 414 Fern Road, Cape May Beach, NJ 08251 - Okay, this is sort of cheating, but we really do love Clover's Cottage. The problem is, it is a place you need to see on your NEXT vacation! Our beach house by the bay in Cape May Beach, NJ is one of our favorite places. We hope you will visit.
Getting Around in Hegins Township
On Rt. 25 WestTurn left out the driveway onto Quaker Drive. At the stop sign at Rt. 25, turn right onto 25 West.
- 1.3 miles to Weist RV – on the left
- 2.2 miles to Good Shepherd EC Church – on the right
- 2.6 miles to the Gratz Drive-in – on the right
- 2.9 miles to the Boardwalk Family Fun Center – hard and soft ice cream drive-in, small game room
- 2.9 miles to the Gratz Fairgrounds – on the right
- 2.9 miles to Reed’s Restaurant – on the right JUST after the fairgrounds
- 3.8 miles to the ATM machine – in the Gratz National Bank on the left in Gratz
- 3.9 miles to Shade’s Market – on the right – quick groceries, video rentals
- 3.9 miles to gas station – on the left across from Shade’s Market
If you go left at the gas station in Gratz onto Specktown road, go 3.2 miles to the stop sign and make a left onto Crossroads. Go another 1.2 miles to Route 209 (the Exxon Tower Market will be on your left)
- Right 2.2 miles to The Mini Golf Fun Center – on the left. Ice cream, mini golf, arcade, small fast food restaurant (about 9.4 total miles from Clover's Cotage)
- Right 2.5 miles to Walmart, McDonalds, Dollar General, a bank, a discount grocery store and household and clothing consignment shop – on the left
- Right 3 miles to Route 209 Beverage Warehouse (translation – this is where you can buy beer, but not wine) – on the right
- Left approximately 3 miles to Horning’s Country Store
On Rt. 25 EastTurn left out the driveway onto Quaker Drive. At the stop sign at Rt. 25, turn left onto 25 East.
- Travel east several miles, through Sacramento, Good Spring and other little villages until you reach the Hegins/Valley View area.
- Redner's Market is a full service grocery store on your left. Also at this site is a bank and gas station, movie rentals and more.
- In your travels you will find pizza, Chinese food and other small restaurants to sample.
Click on this link to see our Flickr Photo Gallery.